When you first created your Joy wedding, we provided you with a website URL (http://withjoy.com/<yourweddingname>). That said, we totally get it if you want to use your own custom domain.
Currently, Joy can connect to a custom domain using the following methods:
Forward only so when a guest goes to your custom domain (jacklovesjill.com), that guest will be redirected to your Joy website and withjoy.com/jacklovesjill will display as the website URL.
Forward with masking so that when a guest goes to your custom domain (jacklovesjill.com), that guest will be redirected to your Joy website but jacklovesjill.com will still display as the website URL.
Warning: If you choose to forward with masking, your website will not be mobile-friendly. This is because masking the domain also hides information Joy needs to determine if a visitor is trying to access your site with a mobile browser; without this information, we can’t optimize your site for mobile.
Setup a Custom Domain that Forwards to Joy
To set up a personalized domain for your Joy website, follow these steps:
- Purchase your domain from GoDaddy.com. Although domains that end in .com are most common, consider fun alternatives like .wedding, .us, and .love.
- Go to GoDaddy’s Domains page, click on the drop-down list of domains you’ve purchased, and select the domain you want to forward to your Joy website. If you’re having trouble finding the Domains page, click the down arrow to the right of your name in the top right of the GoDaddy window, and then click “Manage your domains.”
- Under the Settings tab, locate the Forwarding option. Our goal is to have your GoDaddy domain forward to your Joy website. Check out the example screenshot below using the custom domain Productise.me
- Click the Forwarding option. A new window for forwarding and masking with appear.
- Click the Add Forwarding button. A new window for edit forwarding will appear.
- Change the Forward To option to “https://” and type your Joy website URL in this format: withjoy.com/<yourweddingname> (no brackets).
- Select 301 Permanent as the redirect type and choose your forward setting to be “forward only” or “forward with masking.”
- Click Save and you’re done!