If you’re reading this, then you’re probably planning a wedding. Congratulations! We’re thrilled that you’ve chosen Joy to be a part of your big day and hope that you find everything you need here and more.
Below is a list of everything you’ll need to create the most beautiful and useful wedding website and mobile app possible. We know it’s long, but we wanted to cover everything! Feel free to skip the things you’ve already taken care of or don’t need. If you have any other questions, reach out to us any time at firstname.lastname@example.org, chat with us at http://withjoy.com, or browse any of the articles found on http://help.withjoy.com.
Let’s get started!
Step 1 – Say Hello to Joy
We have a few tools to help acquaint you with all Joy has to offer.
- Joy video: This 90 second video will give you a quick introduction to how Joy can help you with your wedding.
- Demo wedding: Amy & Dave were our first couple and have graciously made their wedding available for inspiration. Check it out here: https://withjoy.com/demo/
- All-in-one or à la carte: Joy provides you with a free wedding website, mobile app, RSVP tools, photo collection features, and much more. We think you’ll love using our seamlessly-integrated, all-in-one experience, but we understand if you only want to use a portion of Joy. For example:
- If you’re using a traditional RSVP system via mail, you can turn the Joy RSVP feature off.
- If your guests aren’t into apps, you can choose to just use the Joy Website or vice versa!
- Our photo collection feature is many couples’ favorite part of Joy; feel free to use it by itself and even create a live slideshow or photo album with your guest & professional photos.
Step 2 – Create Your Joy Wedding
- Set up your account: Navigate to withjoy.com and “Create a Wedding.”
- Tip: Use your Facebook log-in for Joy (we promise we won’t post on your behalf). This not only makes it easier to log in, but it also allows you to change the owner email ID later if needed.
- Set up your couple profile: When you click “Create a Wedding,” you will automatically be asked a series of basic questions about you and your wedding. These will be seen by guests on your couple profile.
- Tip: You can always go back and change the answers. Just make sure to reserve your URL right away before somebody else takes it!
- Tip: If you want your website to have a unique domain name, we recommend taking care of this now.
Step 3 – Edit Your Joy Wedding
- Explore your User Profile Log in on withjoy.com/me and click “Edit My Wedding” under the main greeting. This will take you to your dashboard.
- Add your editors: Add your fiancé, maid of honor, best man, or wedding planner as editors. Let them help manage your website and app!
- Customize your Wedding Dashboard: add or remove sections and make sure your website and app include all of the information guests will need.
- Tip: Like everything else in Joy, you can add and delete sections whenever you want.
- Download the app: Click here for iOS and here for Android.
- Tip: Keep the app open as you make changes to your wedding. This lets you to keep track of any changes and make sure everything looks good.
Step 4 – Choose Your Wedding Style
- Upload your engagement photos: Whether they’re candid vacation snaps or professional photos, your guests will love seeing them.
- Tip: Photos with higher resolution will appear on your wedding home screen! Aim for a photo above 500×500 pixels.
- Pick your web and app cover photo. Let your inner-perfectionist go wild. Reposition both to make sure everything looks exactly as you envisioned.
- Pick the color and font that best represent your wedding.
- Write your Story and tell your loved ones how the whole thing started. Feel free to include Tidbits to add some flare.
Step 5 – Add Your Wedding Party
- Add your wedding party. They will be featured in a special section on both the website and app..
- Tip: Invite them before the rest of your guests so they can get started helping you with all of your planning!
- Make sure to have a backup contact for your big day. This person could be your Maid of Honor, Best Man, Brother, Sister or even your wedding planner. This way, if guests have questions during the wedding, you’ll be covered.
Step 6 – Add Wedding Details
- Add your Schedule of Events. Make sure your guests know exactly when and where everything will take place. Don’t forget to choose the event for your Wedding Countdown.
- Click here to learn about how to add and edit other useful sections including Hotel and Lodging information and your Registry.
Step 7 – Set Your Security
- Adjust your Security Settings: Control what the general public can see and what will only be accessible to guests.
- Confirm permissions for your wedding. Decide whether you’ll require a code to access your website and app, whether guests can invite other guests, and what can be shared on social media.
Step 8 – Prepare Your RSVPs
- Add your RSVP questions and decide which pre-set questions you want to ask your guests (e.g. dietary restrictions), and whether custom questions are needed. Questions can be changed, added, or turned off later.
- Write your invitation message: This will be sent to all guests when you invite them to view your website and download Joy.
- Test your RSVP and invitation email. We recommend setting up a “fake guest” profile or two. Don’t worry, you can delete these later.
- Tip: If you have Gmail, you can use your email for fake profiles, simply add +test1 or +test2 to create a unique email that will still go to your inbox. For example, if your normal email is email@example.com, you could create a fake guest profile with the email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 9 – Invite Your Guests
- Add “Guests to Invite.” This can be done manually (one at a time), or you can upload your guest list from an external spreadsheet.
- Tip: Add your vendors to your guest list. This allows them to better understand your vision, and makes it easy to refer them to your friends and family who are inspired by parts of your wedding. It’s a win-win!
- Invite your guests! Please note that “adding guests to invite” and actually inviting guests are two different steps on Joy. This allows you to edit your guest list before actually sending out invitations.
- Check their responses: Remind guests to RSVP and review everyone’s responses.